Sweet Couscous With Raisins Almonds and Argan Oil
3 tablespoons toasted argan oil
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup golden raisins
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups instant couscous
1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons honey.
1. Place 1/2 tablespoon argan oil in skillet over medium heat. Add almonds, and cook, stirring, until almonds turn golden. Transfer to bowl. Add raisins, lemon zest and cinnamon to bowl, and mix well.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water with pinch of salt and 1 1/2 tablespoons argan oil to boil in heavy saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit 7 minutes to absorb liquid. Fluff with fork, and transfer to large bowl, mixing with fork or fingertips to break up any lumps. Reserve 1/3 cup of almond and raisin mixture and fold rest in with couscous.
3. Beat 2/3 cup yogurt with 1/2 cup honey until smooth. Add lemon juice. Pour over couscous mixture, and fold in until grains are evenly moistened.
4. Coat 5-to-6-cup bowl or mold with 1/2 tablespoon argan oil. Pack couscous mixture into mold, and smooth top. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
5. To serve, beat remaining yogurt with remaining honey and 1/2 tablespoon argan oil. Unmold couscous onto serving dish. Top with reserved raisins and almonds. Serve with yogurt and honey sauce
on the side.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company January 3, 2001
Return to Friends of Morocco Home Page